Mindfully Moving Forward: Our DEI Action Plan
Updated: March 2022
Like our yoga and meditation practices, we know that the work is never finished and requires a lifelong commitment. We are committed to engaging in and holding space for difficult conversations with our community and employees, and to learn from our mistakes and take action to ensure they are not repeated. It is through these commitments that we can keep moving forward, mindfully.
Since the events of the Black Lives Matter Movement in May 2020, our CEO and senior leadership team, together with our newly established People & Culture Team and Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Taskforce, have worked on developing a more inclusive, equitable, and action-driven company culture. Out of this we designed a DEI Action Plan, which provides us with a road map to stay engaged in this work and our commitment to diversity and inclusion initiatives.
We are inspired to connect with our hearts, the hearts of others, and the hearts of movements that are committed to long-term cultural change. This page, along with our DEI Action Plan below, will be ever evolving, and we invite you to join us in this conversation to maintain the momentum of this movement.
Mindful Collective DEI Action Plan
Redefine Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for our Team
- In June 2020, we established a Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Taskforce.
- We completed our most recent Internal Diversity Audit in Fall 2021, and published those results in January 2022, which you can find here. Our next audit will take place in Fall 2022.
- We have leveraged and will continue to leverage external advisors who offer insights, feedback, and ideas to further our overarching corporate commitment to continuous improvement.
Offer Mandatory Company-Wide Anti-Racism Training
- In October 2020, our team participated in company-wide training on anti-racism, diversity and inclusion, and intersectionality.
- In November 2020, members of our Senior Leadership Team and Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Taskforce participated in a multi-module, anti-racism course to better be able to support the needs of our team and the needs of our community.
- In October 2021, our team participated in company-wide training on Indigenous History in Canada, and learnt ways to move forward with greater awareness and allyship.
Strengthen our Respect in the Workplace Policies
- In August 2020, we updated our Respect in the Workplace Policy to ensure there are clear zero-tolerance guidelines around racism, bigotry, micro-aggressions, and xenophobia.
- All new employees are required to read and sign off on our policies.
Update our Recruitment, Training and Employee Growth Processes
- During Fall 2020, we initiated:
- An annual employee engagement survey with an expanded section on inclusivity and diversity.
- Annual diversity and inclusion learning opportunities
- An expanded recruitment process with dedicated support for hiring managers via our newly established People & Culture department
- Our company values which reinforce our commitment to wellbeing for all, connection, impact and integrity, and can be viewed here.
Commit to Monetary Donations and a Long-Term Giving Platform
- By December 2020, we donated over $10,000 towards Diversity and Inclusion related causes across North America.
- We have supported the following organizations thus far: The Loveland Foundation, Get Fresh Daily, Naaya Wellness, New Leaf Foundation, Black Lives Matter - Toronto, Black Lives Matter - Vancouver, Kendra Coupland, Pura Vida Yoga Center - Student Scholarship, Prison Yoga Project, Water First, Indigenous Perspectives Society, Black Immigrant Collective, Therapy for Black Girls, Black Therapy & Advocacy Fund, Melanin Moves, Matriarch Movement, The Trevor Project, Mamas for Mamas, Cause We Care, Girls Who Code, and Yoga Outreach Society.
- In order to facilitate further donations in 2022 and beyond, we are building out a giving platform dedicated to ensuring that wellness practices are safe, accessible and inclusive in communities everywhere. Our goal is to define this platform mandate and objectives by October 2022. Since this plan was developed in 2020, we've donated over $30,000 to various organizations.
Evaluate Product and Seasonal Storytelling
- In the fall of 2020, we performed a Product Marketing Audit to ensure the positioning and communication of our products is culturally respectful and relevant.
Amplify Marginalized Voices in the Wellness Space
- We will continue to leverage our platforms to amplify the experiences of BIPOC community members in the yoga and wellness space.
- As we continue to build out meaningful and impactful content, we are committed to showcasing our diverse wellness community through fresh photography and seasonal campaigns.
- In September 2020, we relaunched our Ambassador Program with a more holistic approach to amplifying voices in wellness. We will expand beyond the practice of yoga and share the work, stories, inspiration and voices of various communities across the globe. We are committed to onboarding ambassadors who are a driving force behind change in the wellness space, who are using their platforms and voices to support the healing of underrepresented communities.
This is just the beginning. We continue to learn, grow and support being actively anti-racist to the best of our collective abilities. We truly value your feedback and ideas and stand beside you in solidarity around this movement
If you are interested in sharing feedback, suggestions or resources please email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, we have zero tolerance for bigotry, xenophobia, and racist comments. We thank you for joining us in our commitment to active, anti-racist work and look forward to creating change alongside you.
We acknowledge with gratitude that our work takes place on the traditional territory of many Indigenous nations, including the ancestral and unceded homeland of the Hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ and Sḵwx̱wú7mesh speaking peoples (Burnaby); and the Gabrielino/Tongva peoples as the traditional land caretakers of Tovaangar (Los Angeles).